When we have a bed or a couch, why invest in a specialized chair for playing chair? If you are strumming occasionally, the couch is just fine. But what if you are practicing for long sessions and performing prolonged gigs? An inappropriate seating arrangement can harm your posture and mess up your playing technique. You might end up having back, neck, or rear-end pain during and after your practice sessions. Instead, practising or performing in a dedicated guitar-playing chair can be comfortable and at the same time great for your back and neck.
Also, guitarists often sit upright one day and slouch back in an armchair the other day. If they do, what happens is that players also need to change their playing technique according to the new posture. Even experienced players often don't pay attention to it and nag about getting annoying 'muted strings' often. In this post, we will discuss all the benefits of playing guitar in a chair and detailed tips on choosing them. If it interests you, hop on!
What Are The Benefits of playing in a chair?
While playing, we focus on the guitar, amps, and other accessories. A comfortable chair is often out of our minds. After playing for some time, we often realize, 'It's the chair causing discomfort!' Instead, a specialized chair for playing guitar can be a "sensible investment" in your body's overall health and improved playing techniques. Here are some key benefits of playing in a chair:
- Improve your skills faster: We leave no stone unturned to improve our guitar skills. When improving, we care more about choosing the right guitar or amp. Can the right chair help you achieve enhanced guitar skills over time? Yes, it can!
- It's better for technique: Whether it's blues, rock, metal, or country, finding the right 'technique" is crucial. If your techniques, your "posture," and your "hand movements" - are poor, you might be able to play major scales, a bit of rhythm or solos occasionally, which will make you work more on it in the future. A chair can help you be in a good posture right from the word goes.
- Comfortable longer sessions: Practice sessions and even live gigs may take longer than you think. You may have to sit on the same chair and play. It can be discomforting if the chair is not a good one. Decent guitar-playing chairs are ergonomic and designed to sit longer and play in a comfortable posture.
- Good for your back: Decent guitar chairs encourage better posture and put less to no strain on your back and neck. When you sit on those wonderfully crafted chairs for playing guitars, your back will thank you each time after the practice sessions.
- Comfortable on stage: A folding metal chair or hard wooden barstool at a gig can stress your joints. Those chairs lack support for proper guitar posture and wreak havoc on your rear before you get to your big solo. On the other hand, a cozy and ergonomic chair will put you at ease till you get a standing ovation.
How To Choose The Perfect Chair For Guitar Sessions?
I have already discussed the benefits of playing guitar in a chair and how it can improve your comfort, technique, and overall performance. Here are some tips to help you shop for the perfect guitar chair or stool:
Comfort is of prominence while playing guitar for long hauls. A good chair with the necessary ergonomic features can help you remain comfortable for longer sessions. Before you buy:
- Choose a height-adjustable seat to customize according to your height and size.
- Check if the seat is densely padded for the comfort and support you need.
- Finally, look to see if there is a comfortable backrest for extra support and comfort to ensure maximum comfort in long playing sessions.
A good guitar stool must be stable enough to sit and play for long hours reliably. Non-slip rubber feet offer better stability even in rigorous playing sessions. A good-quality guitar chair should be robust in construction. A heavy-duty chair offers better stability and lasts for years. Choose chairs made from durable materials like steel, making it worth your investment.
Easy to Transport📦
Often, you may need to move the chair or stool. From studio to gigs or your buddies. A lightweight yet robust chair can make your life easy to carry wherever you go. Another thing, collapsible guitar stools are the most portable, making them ideal for gigs and practice sessions. Any chair with a foldable and lightweight design is great for on-the-go guitarists.
When buying a guitar chair, quality and design come at a price. Costly models will have a lot of useful features and perks, like a guitar stand or an adjustable footrest. You may not need all of them for comfortable playing. If you are on a budget, the best thing is to strike a balance of cost and quality.
By now, I hope you understand the importance of having a dedicated and specialized chair for playing guitar. It's no less important than your amps or accessories. At musicboxessentials, we discuss more insightful information like this.
You need to orchestrate a lot of gear and tools to play your dream tunes; I suggest including a chair on that list. A decent and comfortable chair will give you the ease, comfort, and platform to get you in the groove. There are plenty of guitar chairs and stools available on the market, each with its benefits and drawbacks. Carefully choose the perfect chair by following the tips above so you won't feel those backaches again!